So this weekend I ticked off one of my ‘bucket list’ locations. Rome, Italy! The history, the culture, the food and the country has captivated me and Rome did not disappoint. The 4 day break allowed us to see all of the wonderful landmarks and eat and drink the best food and wine.
My Top 5 Places & Things To Do In Rome
- Piazza Navona
- Roman Forum/Palatine Hill
- Trevi Fountain (Piazza di Trevi)
- Spanish Steps (Piazza di Spagna)
- Piazza Navona reminded me of Covent Garden for its hustle and bustle like atmosphere. We ate at different restaurants and bars around the market square and its great for getting a cappuccino mid morning or picking up a gelato ice cream. My favourite was the pizza and bottle of wine in the evenings.
2) The Colosseum is well worth the wait and doesn’t disappoint , but if you get the opportunity to queue jump it is worth paying the extra money. I would strongly recommend a tour guide otherwise you could end up aimlessly walking through not knowing what you are looking at!
3. Roman Forum & Palatine Hill – was part of the Colosseum ticket deal that we purchased and again I would recommend visiting both these landmarks with a tour guide as they out it ‘you are just staring at a bunch of crumbling ruins’ !!!
4. Trevi Fountain, this was hugely popular and you couldn’t move for tourists, cameras, selfie sticks and tour guides crammed into was is a very small area. However we managed to locate a more quieter area around to the side of the fountain. I’m not sure my pictures do the fountain any justice, but I would strongly recommend a visit.
5. Spanish Steps (Piazza di Spagna) this is another tourist landmark that I was advised not to bother visiting in advance of our trip to Rome however, it should be worth noting that for anyone who, like me, loves their shopping this landmark sits in the heart of the capitals best shops. from Gucci, Chanel, Longchamp, Tiffany, Hugo Boss and many many more this is a ideal day visit to see the shops and turn down small side streets for a coffee and sit down.
Italy was the best weekend, I would highly recommend to anyone who has wanted to go to Italy to book sooner rather than later as there is always an excuse not to do something and always remember……
Lots of love
Carrie x x x